A Book I Would Critique Is...

You know when you read a book and it’s just… not that good? I recently ran into this problem. For me, The Girl in Apartment 19 by Alexandra Williams, was just not good. I don’t want to be too negative here, instead, I would like to point out some things I would have liked to have been done differently. For starters, I noticed SO MANY typos in this book. I had to keep re-reading certain sentences because I thought I skipped over a word… but nope… many sentences were just missing words. I also caught one part where it switched POV in the same sentence, saying “I” and “she” while referring to the same person… it was honestly slightly hard to read because the amount of errors was distracting. On top of that, I felt that the story didn’t necessarily have an intriguing plot line or climax. I mean, I kept reading and was never really hooked on what was happening. I think part of the problem was that the storyline was confusing. The novel is about a woman who is in a car accident, then goes into a coma and gets transferred to a hospital where a doctor is doing a (very much illegal) trial study where he injects some type of drug into his coma patients that alters their memory. To be honest, I never quite understood how the drug worked. I would have liked much more background on exactly what the drug did, and why the doctor was testing it. Another problem with writing a story about someone with altered memory is that when they are the one telling the story, we only know as much as they know, which isn’t much. I would have liked to have seen this story told from a narrators’ POV, that way we know enough details to understand and be interested in the story. I think it should have been one of those novels where it’s almost frustrating because we (the readers) know what’s happening, but the main character doesn’t, and we just wish we could tell them what they don’t know! I was also not super excited about the ending, nothing really surprising happened, and I still felt I was left with no answers. Overall, this is not a book I would recommend. But if you read it and have a different opinion than mine, I’d love to hear it! Also, if you want to read some other reviews on goodreads, click here. And, if you want to see for yourself... you can click here to purchase a paperback copy of the book, but it is also available on Kindle Unlimited. Thanks for reading.


Comments

Popular Posts